Search This Blog

Sunday, November 5, 2017

Skillet Rebirthing Review




It goes without saying that Skillet is one of the biggest Christian Rock/Metal bands in modern times.  Having a style that appeals to both Rockers and Christians they certainly have made their mark on the world.  Most people who know of Skillet today, know them because of the huge success of their album, "Awake".  This album featured some of their biggest hits such as "Monster" and "Hero".  While that album and those songs are certainly great and deserve their recognition, I first got into Skillet when I heard their song "Rebirthing" off the "Comatose" album.

One of the things I really like about this song is the combination of rock and orchestra they have in this song.  The combination makes the song sound more intense and more powerful.  The guitar work is not super technical, but it sounds good and it does its job very effectively in the song.  The vocal work is also very good in this song.  While I don't think that John Cooper is the greatest singer in the world, he is good and you can hear the passion in his voice and it makes the song sound more authentic.  Korey Cooper does a great job when she sings as well.  The way she sings "I come alive somehow" is done very effectively and I think it was a smart move to have her sing it instead of John.  Her type of voice communicates that section better then John's voice could and as a result it sounds really good.  My one problem with this song is the guitar solo.  It sounds pretty good, the melodic guitar playing was awesome, but I thought it was too short.  If they stretched it out for just a few more measures,  I feel like the solo would have been much better.  This is a minor problem though and doesn't kill the song for me.

Lyrically, they did a fantastic job with this song.  Like I said in the beginning, Skillet is a band that is able to appeal to both Christians and Non Christians alike and these lyrics are a good example of how they do that.  To a Non Christian, it sounds like the song is about being in hard times and deciding to come out a better person.  For Christians, it is about needing God and being reborn with his spirit. For Skillet, it is about needing God and being reborn with his spirit.  However, they aren't blunt about it and it doesn't come off as them trying to tell people to go to church like other Christian bands do.  It sends a good message that everybody can relate to in one form or another.    

While I love Monster and Hero along with many other song from Skillet, this is one of my favorites.  The music is good and the lyrics are very well written, making this a must song if your a Skillet fan.  If your a Rocker, Metal fan, or Christian music fan, I recommend giving this song a shot. I give Rebirthing a 4.5 out of 5.

( Thank you for checking out my review. If you like my review, please support my blog on Patreon by clicking the link below.)




No comments:

Post a Comment