Search This Blog

Monday, February 8, 2016

Unite: Meaning Review

I remember when I first discovered this band last year while browsing YouTube.  The first song I heard from them was a song called (REV), and that caught my attention and made me investigate the band more. That is when I discovered this song, Meaning.  The first thing I will point out is the bands look.  While they are not the worst looking band in the Visual Kei genre, in my opinion, their look is still not something I would be quick to embrace.  I have never been a big fan of guys painting their nails or the amount of make up they have on, although I will admit they actually are wearing cloths meant for guys unlike some bands. As for video, I like it, simple, not over the top, and I can still take in the song.  The music is in the middle in terms of heaviness and style. Unlike in the US where in order to be Metal you have to be angry and loud Japan allows a lot more diversity and this song shows it. The 2 guitars players Lin and Shiina Mio with their combination of heavy deep rhythm and Thin Lizzy dual lead style show cases this.  Even though they are playing distinct different styles they don't over power each other and they have figured out a way to make the styles work together which is something I love a lot.  The singer in this band, Yui, show cases a higher vocal range. While I don't think he is the greatest singer in the world his voice works very well for this band. I think of him like Geddy Lee of Rush, he has a style that fits his band and his band alone, same thing for Yui.  I think this song is good, it is well put together, I love the different styles of metal and soft rock I hear through out the song and the simplicity of the video allows me to still take in the song and enjoy the music. My verdict is 4 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment