Search This Blog

Thursday, May 16, 2019

Therion Birth of Venus Illegitima Review



Therion is a band that has had many changes in their long career.  Having gone through over 20 members and putting out 16 albums they have done a lot over time.  When a band has so many changes, it can lead to a lot of debate over which era is the best.  For a lot of people thought, this band started to really reach their full potential with Birth of Venus Illegitima.

This isn't one of the heaviest songs I have ever heard, but the mysterious tone of the song does catch my interest and keeps me listening to the song all the way through.  The vocals in this song are very impressive.  The male backgrounds vocals sound great and add a real chilling feel to the song that I think works very well.  Martina Astner did a great job on lead vocals for this song.  Her opera style vocals sounds great  and really helps to carry the song.  The the music is simple but it does work well with the song.  The musicians knew not to go to crazy musically otherwise it would hurt the feel they were going for.  The guitar solo continues with the simplicity and like the rest of the music, it doesn't try to hard and in this song, that is a good thing.  Overall, this song has a very mysterious feel to it that I enjoy.

The lyrics in this song are a bit of a mix bag for me.  They flow very well and a executed with great excellence by the vocals, but they are also very repetitive and don't go anywhere.  I get that they are singing about the Goddess Aphrodite (AKA Venus) but because both verses are exactly the same and there isn't really a bridge to help add on to the lyrics, it kind of falls short of an overall story or message.  I get the sense that the music and tone of the song was a bigger priority than than the lyrics.  

Overall, this song delivers some good music and great vocals.  The vocals really carry this song well and I got plenty of enjoyment listening to them.  The guitar solo was good in it's simplicity and kept to the songs tone well.  However, the lyrics didn't do much for me and as a result hurt the song a little for me.  Having said that, if you are looking for a mysterious sounding song, I recommend giving this song a listen to.  I give Birth of Venus Illegitima a 3.5 out of 5.  


No comments:

Post a Comment