Search This Blog

Saturday, May 4, 2019

Skyrim a Soundtrack of Battle and Peace


When it comes to video games, Skyrim is considered one of the biggest classics of all time.  It is a game that has a lot going for it, from an open world with a ton of things to do, a lot of interesting characters as well as interesting quests.  Critics and audiences alike have a lot of love for this game and the impact it has made on how video games are made going forward. One component of that game though that is sometimes overlooked is the amazing music score this game has, composed by Jeremy Soule, as seen below.


I've listened to a lot of video game soundtracks and there are very few that I like every song on and this is without a doubt one of them.  It has a nice blend of battle ready songs like Dragonborn theme, Tooth and Claw, and Steel On Steel.  It also has nice calm soothing songs like Secunda, Tundra, and Masser.  Every song blends fits the overall sound and theme of the soundtrack and nothing feels out of place. Considering that this soundtrack has a total of 53 songs on it, that is a real accomplishment.



The fact that it has 53 songs is not just amazing because Jeremy Soule was able to compose that many songs for this game and make them blend, but because it also adds to the feeling of exploration when playing the game.  Because there is such a wide range of songs, it keeps the exploration feeling fresh and makes every area feel different even if you have been to an area more then once.  Usually, most games have one designated theme that works for every specific area like The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time soundtrack.  I love that soundtrack but sometimes hearing the same theme over and over, especially in Hyrule Field, would play a part of me getting tired of that area and not want to go back to it for a time.  Jeremy Soule was able to compose songs that work for multiple areas and multiple interactions.  This way the world feels more diverse and you don't get a sense of repetition as you play the game.

I got to give credit for how well put together the Dragonborn Theme is.  The orchestra and choir in this song really work well together to give a really cool Norse Viking feel. Another cool thing about this song is that is written in a language that is based in the game and not in real life.  The lyrics are written in Dragon language and the fact that it is composed in a way that makes people sing along with it even though it is in a language that no one speaks is very amazing.  It was smart for Bethesda to use this song as one of their main selling points.


As much as I love the battle music in this game, I got to say that I actually really love a lot of the softer, more ambience songs in this game.  Songs like Secunda and Tundra, I listen to when I just want to relax and enjoy the scenery around me,  especially when I'm in nature.  Some songs, like The Gathering Storm, have a bit more of an emotional feel to them, when played in certain spots in the game.  I remember hearing The Gathering Storm start playing when I came across a burned down tavern with a bunch of dead people in it that were killed by vampires.  This song actually made me feel a little sad and uneasy as I walked through the burned down tavern.  When you have music that is able to effect your mood while you play a game and not just serve as background music, that is really impressive.

 

I personally consider this to be one of the greatest video game soundtracks of all time.  It is in my top 5 easy and I highly recommend you get it.  There are 53 songs on it and I like every single one of them.  It is long but it never gets dull and each song is very enjoyable. You can listen to this soundtrack on Spotify, Deezer, or Apple Music.  If you want to purchase the soundtrack, you can get it on Itunes or purchase a physical copy on Ebay, or get the box set from Barnes and Noble.  Links will be in the description below.






If you want to follow me and see more blogs








No comments:

Post a Comment